WordPress 3.6 Oscar
WordPress Version 3.6, named for Oscar Peterson was released to public at August 1, 2013. As always it is available for download from wordpress.org
. It is declared as the enhancement and bug-fix release. In short the enhancements are:
1. New default “Twenty thirteen” theme.
2. Various admin back-end enhancements, like menus UI improvements, revisions revised to be more dynamic and scalable, autosave and post locking, preview audio and video on media edit screen, in-line login following expired sessions.
3. Delicious for developers: external libraries have been updated. More info new audio/video APIs give developers access to powerful media metadata, like ID3 tags. Filters for revisions, allowing you to set the number of revisions ad hoc instead of only via a define. More info semantic markup allows themes to chose improved HTML5 markup for comment forms, search forms, and comment lists. Search content for shortcodes with has_shortcode() and adjust shortcode attributes with a new filter.
Interested? Read full post for more info.
Hide posts from editors
WordPress user with the “Editor” role assigned is capable to edit any post and page. But what to do in such cases as this one?
– “For example I have a client with ‘editor’ capabilities, but I don’t want him to be able to edit the homepage and one or two other pages on the website. Mainly because they contain a lot of styling which is easily disrupted in the wrong hands.”
How to prevent your clients from ruin their site due to lack of expertise at WordPress and HTML/CSS coding?
That’s not so difficult. Get those pages and posts IDs. Copy and paste code snippet below
User Role Editor
User Role Editor version 4.0 Beta is available for testing.
The changes are:
- Added support for the “Gravity Forms” user capabilities. User Role Editor is integrated with “Gravity Forms” now and you can include “Gravity Forms” plugin capabilities to your blog user roles.
- Full code refactoring is made. Code is fully restructured and encapsulated to PHP classes. Enhanced security is applied: internal global variables are not in use at User Role Editor anymore, WordPress global variable are used only.
WooCommerse with multiple vendors
multiple vendors decision – is it possible to setup this popular WordPress plugin for eCommerce that way?
WooCommerce is designed for the only shop owner by default. Yes, you may assign the ‘Shop Manager’ role more than to one user simultaneously, but all of them will have the same permissions. All of them will be the boss at your e-shop. What to do if you wish that your e-shop has multiple sellers with limited rights for editing their own selling items only? That is a seller or vendor (e.g. software developer) may input and publish at your e-shop his own items (software applications) only? Is it possible without additional programming? Read further and I show you one of the possible decisions.
User Role Editor
User Role Editor version 3.12 is available for download. It is security and vulnerability fix release generally:
- Critical update: persistent cross-site scripting vulnerability is fixed.
- WordPress built-in constants, like WP_PLUGIN_URL are not used in order to provide compatibility with sites which use SSL. plugin_dir_url(), plugin_dir_path() functions are used to define paths to the plugin’s files instead.
- “Greetings” section is removed from the plugin’s main page. All that content is still available at plugin page.
Posts Slideshow Widget
Post Slideshow Widget WordPress plugin allows you to setup a side bar widget with slider (slideshow) of featured images from recent posts (or custom post type), from a selected category (hierarchical taxonomy for selected custom post type), from comma separated list of tags.
If post has no featured image, plugin tries to extract any 1st image from that post content and show it instead.
You may customize post title and background color, background color of slider navigation panel. Color is selected from WordPress built-in color pallete. Manual input of color code is available also. Select animation type: slide or fade. Setup slider speed and widget dimensions. You can have as many sliders as you wish with different categories selected. This is mainly useful if you have a dedicated category for photo gallery posts and would like to display recent post title with its featured photo.
WP Last Login
WordPress user last login date is important attribute, useful for the health of your site. Why it could be necessary? Did you configure your WordPress site opened to new user registration? If “Yes”, then you know definitely about spam user registrations. Yes, there are special plugins to fight with this serious problem. But even excellent automatic defence can be overcome somehow, and except of tens of thousands spam registrations you will have 5-10 registrations a day, 300 – a month, 3600 a year… Is there a need to continue? Thus, in order to cleanup your site database, remove such overload it is needed to analyse your site users, at least from time to time.