WordPress version 3.7 “Basie”
is available for download
. WordPress developers fulfills their promises. That’s good.
New features of this major release are:
– Background updates.
Automatic installation for security and bug fix minor updates are enabled by default. As official blog says, you may sleep, but critical update will be applied without your participation.
– Stronger password recommendations
checked during new password creation and followed WordPress password strongness meter. It recognizes common mistakes that can weaken your password: dates, names, keyboard patterns (123456789), and even pop culture references;
– Improved search results.
Search results are ordered better in relevance to the post content, not by publication date only.;
– Better global support.
As the part of realized automatic update engine WordPress 3.7 adds support for automatically installing the right language files and keeping them up to date.
WordPress 3.7 Beta
WordPress 3.7 Beta 1 is available for testing
. Just few days ago we got WordPress 3.6.1 maintenance and security update. Did you update your WordPress site to version 3.6.1? No? This update is available from September, 16th. So it’s time to install it, sure. The list of fixes is available here
Less than after a month of 3.6.1 release, WordPress developers team announced WordPress version 3.7 availability – October, 2013. Good speed.
The most impressive new feature included into version 3.7 is the automatic background update of WordPress core. That’s cool. You may sleep, have a good vacations, but your lovely WordPress will be always up-to-date, and all security vulnerabilities found will be fixed automatically. Fantastics which becomes the reality! But this is the one side of the coin only.
WordPress 3.6 Oscar
WordPress Version 3.6, named for Oscar Peterson was released to public at August 1, 2013. As always it is available for download from wordpress.org
. It is declared as the enhancement and bug-fix release. In short the enhancements are:
1. New default “Twenty thirteen” theme.
2. Various admin back-end enhancements, like menus UI improvements, revisions revised to be more dynamic and scalable, autosave and post locking, preview audio and video on media edit screen, in-line login following expired sessions.
3. Delicious for developers: external libraries have been updated. More info new audio/video APIs give developers access to powerful media metadata, like ID3 tags. Filters for revisions, allowing you to set the number of revisions ad hoc instead of only via a define. More info semantic markup allows themes to chose improved HTML5 markup for comment forms, search forms, and comment lists. Search content for shortcodes with has_shortcode() and adjust shortcode attributes with a new filter.
Interested? Read full post for more info.
Hide posts from editors
WordPress user with the “Editor” role assigned is capable to edit any post and page. But what to do in such cases as this one?
– “For example I have a client with ‘editor’ capabilities, but I don’t want him to be able to edit the homepage and one or two other pages on the website. Mainly because they contain a lot of styling which is easily disrupted in the wrong hands.”
How to prevent your clients from ruin their site due to lack of expertise at WordPress and HTML/CSS coding?
That’s not so difficult. Get those pages and posts IDs. Copy and paste code snippet below
User Role Editor
User Role Editor version 4.0 Beta is available for testing.
The changes are:
- Added support for the “Gravity Forms” user capabilities. User Role Editor is integrated with “Gravity Forms” now and you can include “Gravity Forms” plugin capabilities to your blog user roles.
- Full code refactoring is made. Code is fully restructured and encapsulated to PHP classes. Enhanced security is applied: internal global variables are not in use at User Role Editor anymore, WordPress global variable are used only.
WooCommerse with multiple vendors
multiple vendors decision – is it possible to setup this popular WordPress plugin for eCommerce that way?
WooCommerce is designed for the only shop owner by default. Yes, you may assign the ‘Shop Manager’ role more than to one user simultaneously, but all of them will have the same permissions. All of them will be the boss at your e-shop. What to do if you wish that your e-shop has multiple sellers with limited rights for editing their own selling items only? That is a seller or vendor (e.g. software developer) may input and publish at your e-shop his own items (software applications) only? Is it possible without additional programming? Read further and I show you one of the possible decisions.
User Role Editor
User Role Editor version 3.12 is available for download. It is security and vulnerability fix release generally:
- Critical update: persistent cross-site scripting vulnerability is fixed.
- WordPress built-in constants, like WP_PLUGIN_URL are not used in order to provide compatibility with sites which use SSL. plugin_dir_url(), plugin_dir_path() functions are used to define paths to the plugin’s files instead.
- “Greetings” section is removed from the plugin’s main page. All that content is still available at plugin page.